More than 100 children at a kindergarten in northern Vietnam were hospitalised for food poisoning after eating a school-prepared lunch, a health worker said Wednesday September 19. The children, aged 2 to 5, were hospitalised Monday, suffering from vomiting, diarrhea and stomach aches, said Dao Hong Son, a health worker with the Vinh Lai clinic in Phu Tho province.
Most of the children were released Tuesday (18 Sept), but 12 were transferred to the provincial hospital for further treatment, Son said.
The children had eaten tofu, pork and rice cakes for lunch Monday before falling sick. Food samples had been sent to a lab in the province for testing, he said.
Food poisoning is fairly common in Vietnam where hygiene standards are less than rigorous. Dozens of people die every year from food poisoning. (AP)