Filipino doctor suspected of funding IS in Malaysia to be extradited to US

10-Oct-2017 Intellasia | The Philippine Inquirer | 6:00 AM Print This Post

A Filipino doctor suspected of supporting the Islamic State network in Malaysia and a thwarted jihadist plot targeting New York’s subway and Times Square will be extradited to the United States.

The Philippine military chief, general Eduardo Ano, said Dr Russel Salic sent funds to other nations, including Malaysia, for the “IS terrorist network”.

“He is providing financial support to several extremists or suspicious terrorists in the Middle East, in the US, Malaysia,” Gen Ano told reporters on Sunday.

“He was very active on social media, websites that groups related to ISIS have been using,” he said.

Authorities had been monitoring Salic’s activities since 2014, general Ano said.

Philippine media reported that Salic had previously wired money to Malaysia, Australia, Syria, Lebanon, Palestine and Bosnia between February 2015 and June 2016.

It reported that Salic had sent money to a person by the name of Jasanisam Rosni in Johor on June 24, 2016, just days before the attack at the Movida pub in Puchong.

In April this year, Jasanisam, 34, admitted being involved in preparations to attack a temple and nightclubs in Johor Baru last year between June 27 and July 2, 2016. He was sentenced to three years jail.

According to a report based on court filings, the FBI concluded that Salic had provided the funding for the Movida pub bombing, the first IS-linked attack in Malaysia, where eight people were injured.

Salic was arrested in the Philippines in April 2017 and the US had requested his extradition, the US Department of Justice said.

Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II said on Sunday that the extradition process for Salic should already begin.

“It only means that we have to begin the extradition proceedings being requested. We have a process to be followed and this has been done many times in the past,” Aguirre said in text message to INQUIRER.net.

Salic and two others have been charged with involvement in the plan to carry out the attacks in the name of the Islamic State group during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan in 2016.

Salic, a 37-year-old Filipino doctor, transferred $423 in May 2016 to the other suspects for the operation, according to US court documents released on Friday.

Multiple locations including New York’s subway, Times Square and some concert venues were identified as targets in the plot that was foiled by an undercover FBI agent, US authorities announced Friday.

The agent posed as an IS supporter and communicated with Salic and his two alleged accomplices: Abdulrahman El Bahnasawy, a 19-year-old Canadian who purchased bombmaking materials, and Talha Haroon, a 19-year-old American citizen living in Pakistan.

A complaint signed by the agent quoted messages sent by Salic to others involved in the plot in which he described terror laws in the Philippines as “not strict” in comparison to countries such as Australia and the UK.

Salic was an orthopaedic surgeon associated with a hospital in the southern Philippine city of Cagayan de Oro, the complaint said.

The restive south of the mainly Catholic Philippines is home to a decades-old Muslim separatist insurgency and extremist gangs that have declared allegiance to IS.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/regional/2017/10/08/filipino-doctor-suspected-of-funding-movida-bombing-to-be-extradited-to-us/

 


Category: Malaysia

Print This Post