Japan’s Inpex plans to build a 4.5 million mt/year floating LNG plant for Indonesia’s Masela block in two stages, as a single train has been deemed not viable, Evita Legowo, oil and gas director general at Indonesia’s Energy and Mines Ministry, said Tuesday.
The first train will have a capacity of 2.5 million mt/year and the second 2 million mt/year, she said, without providing a time line for the two trains.
Indonesia’s upstream regulator BPMigas said in August that Inpex could begin development on the Masela gas block next year, with the project expected to come on stream in 2016.
The government approved Inpex’s development plan for Masela in January. Inpex has a 90% stake in the block, with the remaining 10% held by Indonesia’s Energi Mega Persada.
The Masela block has estimated gas reserves of 14 Tcf, on par with the 14.4 Tcf Tangguh project in Indonesia’s Papua province. The block is located some 400 km from Darwin, Australia.
Most of the gas from Masela will be allocated for export in the form of LNG, BPMigas has said previously.