2 Filipinos killed, 8 injured in Lebanon blasts

06-Aug-2020 Intellasia | PhilStar | 6:02 AM Print This Post

Two Filipinos have been reported killed while eight others were injured following two powerful explosions in Beirut, Lebanon on Tuesday, the Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed.

“Per latest report from the Philippine Embassy 2 Filipinos have been reported killed and 6 injured. All were in their employers homes during the explosion,” Foreign Affairs Assistant Secretary Ed Menez tells reporters Wednesday morning.

DFA Undersecretary Sarah Arriola later on gave an update that two more Filipinos are injured while 12 are missing.

Among the eight injured, seven sustained minor injuries while one is in critical but stable condition. All of the injured are household service workers who were at their work place when the blast devastated Lebanon’s capital.

Meanwhile, 11 of the missing Filipinos are seafarers aboard cruise ship MV Orient Queen, which was docked 400 meters from the blast zone.

“They decided to jump from the ship because they felt that they will sink. Two of them arrived at the embassy and they are now at the chancery,” Arriola said in a virtual briefing.

Arriola said the Philippine Embassy in Lebanon is reaching out to the hospitals to look for the missing Filipinos.

The other reported missing Filipino is a household service worker believed to have also sustained injuries from the explosion.

“As of now we are looking at all hospitals and we are relying on the reports of the Filipino community,” Arriola said, adding that the DFA will be giving all kinds of assistance to those who may need on the ground.

The Philippine Embassy is coordinating with the Filipino community in Lebanon to assess the situation and provide assistance to any affected Filipinos, the DFA said.

According to Menez, approximately 33,000 Filipinos are in Lebanon, 75 percent of whom are in the Greater Beirut area.

For those who may need assistance, the Philippine Embassy may reached through the following:

Telephones: +961 3859430, +961 81334836, +961 71474416, +961 70681060 and +961 70858086

Email: [email protected]

Facebook: Philippine Embassy in Lebanon

At least 73 people were dead and thousands injured after two explosions devastated Beirut’s port on Tuesday.

Lebanon’s prime minister Hassan Diab said that 2,750 tonnes of fertiliser ammonium nitrate that had been stored for years in a portside warehouse had blown up, sparking “a disaster in every sense of the word”.

“What happened today will not pass without accountability,” said Diab. “Those responsible for this catastrophe will pay the price.”

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/08/05/2033077/2-filipinos-killed-6-injured-lebanon-blasts

 


Category: Philippines

Print This Post