Coronavirus: 24 new cases confirmed in HK’s infection upsurge, 19 locally transmitted

09-Jul-2020 Intellasia | South China Morning Post | 6:02 AM Print This Post

Hong Kong has recorded 19 new local infections among Wednesday’s coronavirus toll of 24 as the city starts to feel the impact of a third wave of contagion.

Of the locally transmitted cases, five sources of infection could not be traced involving residents from across the city, including Tsuen Wan, Mong Kok and Causeway Bay, health officials told a press briefing.

The remaining local cases were linked to possible infection clusters eight at a care home for the elderly in Tsz Wan Shan and six associated with restaurants in Choi Hung and Jordan.

Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China.

“We are worried there will be a major community outbreak, as many of these cases are with unidentified sources [of infection],” said Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan, head of the communicable disease branch of the Centre for Health Protection.

“Quite a number of these cases had gatherings and visited a lot of places during their incubation period thus making tracing difficult.”

The 24 new patients, aged between 31 and 92, push the city’s infected tally to 1,323, with seven deaths. A 55-year-old taxi driver confirmed as infected on Wednesday is described as being in a critical situation.

The news came a day after nine locally transmitted cases led officials to warn the city was battling a third wave of infections.

Fourteen new cases were reported on Tuesday, of which the nine local transmissions sparked concerns over an outbreak at Kong Tai Care for Aged Centre in Tsz Wan Shan, two restaurants in Choi Hung and Jordan, and at schools with links to patients.

On Wednesday, health minister Professor Sophia Chan Siu-chee said the government was reviewing the city’s Covid-19 policies and would make an announcement as soon as possible.

Five of the local cases from Tuesday could not be traced, including an IT worker at the Hospital Authority, who visited Disneyland earlier this month.

Chan said it was worrying that it remained unclear how some people had become infected recently.

Dr David Hui Shu-cheong, a respiratory medicine expert at Chinese University who is advising the government on the coronavirus pandemic, said Hong Kong may need to reintroduce tough social-distancing measures.

He warned of possible school suspensions and restrictions on the number of people allowed to dine together. Presently, tables in a bar can seat a maximum of eight, but that restriction has been lifted for restaurants.

“People who have been entering the city recently have also brought [in] the virus,” he said. “It is highly contagious.”

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-government-reviewing-approach-medical-053043887.html

 


Category: Hong Kong

Print This Post