Coronavirus: HK revokes Saudi Arabia consulate worker’s quarantine exemption for breaking Covid-19 rules

23-Jul-2021 Intellasia | South China Morning Post | 5:02 AM Print This Post

Hong Kong has revoked quarantine exemptions for a Saudi Arabian consulate worker and his family, the Post has learned, after they broke self-isolating rules and two of the children caught Covid-19.

“Anyone in that household who is not a confirmed case has been sent to a quarantine centre,” a government source said.

“The consulate staff and children who violated the exemption conditions requiring home isolation have had their exemption status revoked.”

Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team.

Health experts earlier called for a review of the exemptions for diplomats and others deemed to have crucial jobs.

The developments came as the city confirmed five imported infections on Wednesday. The group included the two children siblings from Saudi Arabia and one case each from Cambodia, the United Arab Emirates and Bangladesh.

The city’s tally of confirmed infections now stands at 11,970, with 212 related deaths. Fewer than five people tested preliminary-positive for the coronavirus.

The Centre for Health Protection on Tuesday revealed that a 13-year-old girl and 11-year-old boy who arrived in Hong Kong from Saudi Arabia on Friday had tested preliminary-positive.

The centre confirmed the siblings had been exempted from quarantine, while a source said they were the children of a staff member at the Saudi Arabian consulate.

If the family members did not come to Hong Kong together with a consulate staff member, but just for personal purposes… is the special arrangement for relatives suitable?

Respiratory medicine specialist Dr Leung Chi-chiu

There are currently 12 groups eligible to apply for quarantine exemptions when arriving in Hong Kong from foreign countries. They include “government officials carrying out governmental duties”, aircrew members and directors of listed companies in Hong Kong on business.

While exempted from compulsory quarantine at hotels, some in those categories are still required to isolate at home for between one and three weeks, during which they are barred from leaving their residence.

Saliva samples from the two children submitted on the third day after arrival were found to be preliminary-positive for the coronavirus. The sister’s sample was carrying the L452R mutation, which is linked to a number of variants, including the Delta one. She also developed a fever on her second day in the city.

Yet the children were found to have left home during the mandatory isolation.

Based on the compulsory testing notice issued by the government on Tuesday night, the pair were believed to have visited The Peak Galleria on Saturday, then the Citygate shopping centre and nearby cable car attraction in Tung Chung on Sunday.

The notice did not explicitly state where the pair went, but dates given for Covid-19 positive visitors to those places match the time the children were in Hong Kong.

Respiratory medicine specialist Dr Leung Chi-chiu on Wednesday said the revocation was of little value unless it was imposed permanently on the family, who were already either quarantined or in hospital.

He urged the government to get to the root of the problem by reviewing the quarantine exemption arrangements, including who qualified, where they should isolate, and how best to ensure they complied with the rules.

“If the family members did not come to Hong Kong together with a consulate staff member, but just for personal purposes, and this was a regular employee rather than a consul general… is the special arrangement for relatives suitable?” Leung asked, adding that the children’s visit was very likely to be unrelated to business.

He also questioned whether the government had clear rules in place for home quarantine, as the residence where the two children stayed did not appear ideal for self-isolation.

Tang Kung Mansion in Taikoo Shing, where the children lived, is a 27-storey building with 208 units.

“In such a densely populated estate… we don’t know if there were any risks of vertical or horizontal transmission,” he said.

He noted that it would be better if people isolated in stand-alone houses or buildings that were separate from others.

The children’s travels within the community also appeared to be a violation of existing rules, Leung added.

“Under the home isolation policy, does the government do any monitoring of those people?” he said.

The Post has approached the Chief Secretary’s Office and the Department of Health seeking comment.

University of Hong Kong microbiologist Dr Ho Pak-leung expressed similar views, saying those exempted from hotel quarantine when entering the city from high-risk areas should still be safely separated from the community.

“The virus cannot differentiate between people. It can infect diplomats, presidents or prime ministers,” Ho told a Wednesday radio show.

“If we want to exempt them from current hotel quarantine rules, then we need systematic measures to prevent them from spreading the coronavirus into the community.”

According to the government’s classification of countries based on Covid-19 threat levels, Saudi Arabia falls within the medium-risk category.

Ho said measures should take into account the transport they were using and whether their places of residence posed a transmission risk to other people.

He suggested it was inappropriate for exempted persons to be allowed to quarantine at home at all if they lived in ordinary housing estates or flats with others nearby.

“Other countries that still allow home quarantine have a high rate of the virus spreading into the community,” Ho said. “If we are trying to maintain our zero infection streak while our vaccination rate is still low, we should avoid allowing people to quarantine at home.”

Separately on Wednesday, Secretary for Home Affairs Caspar Tsui Ying-wai said the ongoing coronavirus situation meant authorities had no plans to arrange for a delegation of Chinese medal winners from the Tokyo Olympics to visit Hong Kong as in previous years.

Hong Kong Olympians returning from the Games would require seven days of quarantine, he added.

Health authorities also announced on Wednesday they were creating a new category of “event premises” under the list of venues falling under social-distancing regulations.

From Thursday midnight, meetings, forums, symposiums, exhibitions, ceremonial and celebratory events including weddings and certain business meetings will be subject to rules capping guest numbers to 50 per cent of capacity, rising to 100 per cent if two-thirds of attendees have received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine.

In Hong Kong, the total number of vaccine doses administered exceeded 5 million as of Wednesday night.

More than 2.9 million of people have received their first doses and 2.1 million have been fully vaccinated, amounting to 27.9 per cent of the city’s population.

The vaccination programme was launched on February 26.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-time-review-hong-kong-075959505.html

 

Category: Hong Kong

Print This Post

Comments are closed.