Duterte mulls Cabinet revamp; eyes Panelo to replace Roque

11-Oct-2018 Intellasia | UNTV News | 6:00 AM Print This Post

No less than President Rodrigo Duterte confirmed on Tuesday (October 9) that he needs to reshuffle his Cabinet in view of the 2019 May Elections.

This is because a number of key positions will be vacated once the official election period begins.

Among the members of the Duterte Cabinet who will run in the elections are Special Assistant to the President Bong Go; Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque; Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano; Political Adviser Francis Tolentino; Agrarian Reform Secretary John Castriciones and TESDA director general Guiling Mamondiong.

When asked if he has already found a replacement for his ever trusted aide, SAP Bong Go, the President has no clear answer yet.

Duterte said he already has someone to replace Cayetano in the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA). He refused to name the person but he hinted that he is a diplomat.

Meanwhile, the President has announced in the briefing that Presidential Legal Adviser Salvador Panelo will be the one to replace Roque.

“Sabi niya hindi siya tatakbo tapos tatakbo siya. Tapos ngayon naman hindi. Ang problema ko sa totoo lang, kay may na-target na rin ako to take his place. I did my homework very fast. Nung sabi niya na hindi siya tatakbo takbo. Namili na kaagad ako ng (replacement),” the President said referring to his previous discussion with Roque.

Roque was previously advised by the President not to aspire for government position because he (Duterte) believes Roque will not win the election.

“Siguro I’ll assign in temporary or in added function. Tutal tiga-assign man lang ‘yan si Sal Panelo. With all sartorial elegance, medyo maganda siguro tingnan,” the President said hinting of Panelo’s new position.

The Chief Executive said Roque signified his intention to resign after the President’s medical visit to Cardinal Santos Medical centre which Roque claimed have affected his job as presidential spokesperson.

The President, on the other hand, explained the truth behind the matter.

“Hindi naman siya nagtanong so he felt that he was placed in a bad light. Parang he was lying. But the fact of the matter is that he did not ask us. And maybe at that time I was not in a position to tell him also. And sabi niya, mag-resign siya. Sabi ko ‘di sige,” the President said.

Roque previously said that he will announce next week his decision on whether to run for Senate or accept the President’s offer of a new position as Press Secretary.

But for his part, the President said he has no position to offer to Roque should he drop his bid for the 2019 polls.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/duterte-mulls-cabinet-revamp-eyes-072944269.html

 


Category: Philippines

Print This Post