Final defendant in case of murdered HK war game enthusiast cleared of charges

19-Sep-2020 Intellasia | South China Morning Post | 6:02 AM Print This Post

The case of a war game enthusiast murdered on a Hong Kong hillside three years ago has finally concluded, with the jury acquitting the last defendant, who had admitted to handling the dead man’s phone.

A seven-member jury on Thursday unanimously acquitted Jack Wong Wai-ho, 21, of charges of perverting the course of public justice and handling stolen goods, after three hours of deliberations in the third trial over the death of Bosco Kwok Wai-nok in 2017.

Two men were already jailed last year for killing the 20-year-old, while a third, accused of playing a facilitating role, was acquitted.

Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China.

In the latest trial, prosecutors accused Wong of perverting the course of justice by deleting data from Kwok’s phone, which may have contained information relevant to the investigation into his death.

Wong was also accused of handling Kwok’s backpack, headphones and some war game equipment.

But Wong claimed he did not know that the phone or the other items had belonged to Kwok, and said he was only following the instructions of one of the other gamers, Martin Yim Yu-hang, 29, to help erase the electronic device and “sell those things”.

“I had no idea that it’s illegal to do so,” Wong said.

The High Court heard the case stemmed from disputes over the trade of war game equipment, which led to a degree of bad blood between the victim and Yim, who then told members of his “Midnight Outing Group” that he “won’t forgive… Bosco”, and would “take him down”.

On May 27, 2017 Yim texted the group: “Say goodnight to Bosco.”

Kwok was reported missing after he joined Yim for a night hike to test new equipment that very day.

His bloodstained body was discovered two days later in a terraced field below a path on Black Hill, with a white gunny sack covering his head and tied around his upper chest. He was certified dead at the scene. An autopsy found the apprentice air-conditioning technician had sustained cuts and bruises all over his body, with multiple stab wounds to his neck and a number of impact injuries that fractured his skull.

The cause of death was ruled to be stab wounds to the neck and head injury.

Investigators later discovered a pair of broken glasses, an air pistol and a three-foot-long metal pipe at the crime scene.

But there was no sign of his phone or the backpack he was carrying when he left home on May 27, as captured by his building’s CCTV.

Benard Chow Ching-yin, 23, one of the group members, later admitted to the killing, but said he was acting in self-defence after Kwok dashed towards him and attacked him when a discussion over the sale of war game gear turned ugly.

Yim, meanwhile, relied on Chow’s testimony to show he was not actively involved in causing Kwok’s death.

But Madam Justice Judianna Barnes observed that Yim had left Kwok to die despite knowing the man had been badly injured by Chow, jailing Yim for seven and a half years on a count of manslaughter by gross negligence after sentencing Chow to life imprisonment for murder.

Another group member, Wong Long-ki, 24 who was accused of helping the jailed duo distract Kwok’s friend during the hike so that Yim could lead the victim away to Chow was cleared of the charges against him by majority verdicts.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/final-defendant-case-murdered-hong-115040718.html

 


Category: Hong Kong

Print This Post