HK police arrest pair over orange paint attack on six-year-old girl outside school

28-Oct-2020 Intellasia | South China Morning Post | 6:02 AM Print This Post

Hong Kong police have arrested two men on suspicion of attacking a six-year-old girl with orange paint outside her primary school and intimidating her family, with officers suspecting a business feud to be the motive behind the crime.

Officers arrested a 45-year-old man in Ngau Tau Kok on Friday evening and a 31-year-old in Sau Mau Ping on Saturday afternoon. They were detained on suspicion of criminal damage. The Post understood that the unemployed pair came from a triad background.

Chow Man-hin, acting chief inspector of New Territories South regional anti-triad squad, said officers seized clothes, phones and large marble balls from the flats.

Get the latest insights and analysis from our Global Impact newsletter on the big stories originating in China.

Hong Kong police attach great importance to the case and are furious, especially as children should be under everyone’s protection

Chow Man-hin, acting chief inspector, New Territories South regional anti-triad squad

“The suspects allegedly intimidated the family by assaulting and making damage,” Chow said. “They even targeted a six-year-old girl. Hong Kong police attach great importance to the case and are furious, especially as children should be under everyone’s protection. We believe the incident is linked to a business feud.”

On Thursday morning, the girl was talking to the school principal near the main entrance of TWGHs Tsoi Wing Sing Primary School in Sha Tin, when a black-clad man suddenly appeared and splashed orange paint on her, before fleeing on foot.

The girl did not suffer any injuries but was taken to Prince of Wales Hospital in Sha Tin for a check-up.

Chow said the girl’s 68-year-old grandfather was also assaulted by three unknown men on September 30 near his home in Tai Wai, leaving him with inflamed limbs.

The acting chief inspector said the elderly man’s home was splashed with red paint and its glass windows damaged by marble balls on October 15 and 22.

“We are still investigating if the arrested pair was involved in all four cases,” Chow said. “But it seems that the family did not know the suspects.”

He said the investigation was ongoing and more arrests were possible.

The Tung Wah Group of Hospitals (TWGHs), which operates the school, said it strongly condemned the attack.


Category: Hong Kong

Print This Post

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.