HK protests: five Chinese University students charged with rioting over Monday’s disturbance on Sha Tin campus

14-Nov-2019 Intellasia | South China Morning Post | 6:02 AM Print This Post

Four young Chinese University students charged with rioting over the protests on school campus on Monday have been granted bail while one of their co-defendants remained in hospital.

The three men and one woman, aged from 18 to 21, were on Wednesday taken to Sha Tin Court, where more than a hundred people, many of them young students, gathered in support as confrontations continued on the university campus.

One defendant Hui Yi-chuen, 20, entered the dock with a large cotton gauze wrapped around his head, while Chan Lik-sik, 18, had a purplish bruise on his left cheekbone.

Their co-defendant Lau Chun-yuk, 21, did not show up as he remained in Prince of Wales Hospital in Sha Tin. But his defence counsel Norris Chan Chin-chung revealed he could be discharged by Wednesday afternoon.

The defendants apprehended on school campus were among 287 people arrested on Monday.

A police spokesman said these defendants were arrested during a clearance operation following repeated warnings against protesters throwing stones and petrol bombs at officers below the bridge.

All five defendants were charged with one joint count of rioting and accused of taking part in a riot with unknown others in the vicinity of Postgraduate Hall near No 2 bridge at the university.

They were also charged with covering their faces during an unlawful assembly.

Foo Hoi-ching, 21, and Hui were each further charged with one count of possession of an offensive weapon or other instrument fit for unlawful purpose.

The former was accused of carrying a screwdriver and a hammer head, while her co-defendant was said to have brought a spanner.

None of them were required to enter a plea after Senior Public Prosecutor Andy Lo Tin-wai asked for more time to allow investigators to review security camera footage and interview witnesses.

Acting principal magistrate Ko Wai-hung adjourned the case to January 8 next year and released the four defendants on HK$5,000 bail each, with the condition that they obey a curfew, remain in Hong Kong and report to police at least three times a week.

Their co-defendant Lau was expected to appear in court earliest on Wednesday afternoon.

The Post learned Hui had sustained his injuries during arrest, when he was allegedly struck in the head by a stick-like object, requiring four stitches. Hui also complained that he was struck twice in the back.

Rioting is punishable in Hong Kong by 10 years’ imprisonment.


Category: Hong Kong

Print This Post

Comments are closed.