HK protests: four men accused of possessing weapons at Yuen Long demonstration granted bail at High Court

07-Aug-2019 Intellasia | South China Morning Post | 6:02 AM Print This Post

Two men were brought to a Hong Kong court on Tuesday charged with damaging a traffic light, a day after anti-government protesters brought the city’s traffic to a near standstill.

Construction worker Sun Wai-lam, 27, and designer Wong Yun-kei, 30, faced a joint count of criminal damage at Sha Tin Court.

They are accused of damaging the cables of a traffic light at the junction of Lion Rock Tunnel Road and Tai Po Road in Sha Tin on Monday. The traffic device was a government property, a court filing said.

A witness alleged that Sun and Wong cut the cables early on Monday morning.

As charges were read against them on Tuesday, the two, clad in green T-shirts, replied from the dock: “I understand.”

Prosecutors asked for the case to be adjourned until next month as more time was needed to investigate.

Acting Principal Magistrate Ko Wai-hung adjourned the case until September 17 and granted them bail. He ordered them to pay a cash bail of HK$3,000 (US$383), surrender their travel documents, report to a police station regularly and observe a curfew.

Separately, four men previously denied bail after they were accused of possessing offensive weapons during a protest in Yuen Long last month were released on the condition they pay up to HK$100,000 (US$12,800).

At the High Court, Justice Andrew Chan Hing-wai on Tuesday granted bail to cook Vincent Chu Chun-hoi, 18, clerk Chu Tsz-wan, 23, and students Liu Hui-fung, 19, and Yung Wai-shing, 25, with conditions.

They were charged in relation to the protest in Yuen Long on July 27. Chu, Liu and Yung were ordered to pay a cash bail of HK$20,000, while Vincent, the youngest who was said to be found with most weapons, had to fork out five times that much.

The quartet must report to a police station and abide by a curfew before they appear at the Fanling Court, which had earlier rejected their bail, on September 3.

Four others, who could not appear in court on Monday as they were still in hospital, also made their appearances at Kowloon City and Kwun Tong Court on Tuesday.

Student Chan Chun-ting, 18, and clerk So Ching-yee, 22, were charged with unlawful assembly on Nathan Road in Mong Kok on August 3. Chan’s lawyer complained police had used excessive force to subdue his client.

Meanwhile, transport worker Tsang Tin-lok, 22, and baker Tam Ho-yu, 24, both faced a charge of assaulting a police officer during a protest in Wong Tai Sin on August 3. Tsang complained he was forced to make an involuntary witness statement, while Tam claimed police officers assaulted him.

All the four were granted bail, as were 11 others who appeared in court on Monday.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/hong-kong-protests-four-men-074508340.html

 


Category: Hong Kong

Print This Post

Comments are closed.