Hospital says protesters disrupting its services

16-Sep-2021 Intellasia | BangkokPost | 5:02 AM Print This Post

The Veterans general Hospital on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road yesterday urged anti-government protesters not to disrupt medical services for the public.

The hospital is near Din Daeng intersection, the scene of frequent protest rallies.

Dr Kampol Muangsaen, director of the hospital, called a press conference yesterday to make the public request.

He said protests had made it difficult for patients and staff to enter and leave the premises.

“I would like to ask protesters to make way, so patients and emergency services can get to the hospital unhindered,” he said.

Staff at the hospital also had to be on standby for any adverse incidents during demonstrations, Dr Kampol said.

The hospital was a governmental facility that treated patients and it had absolutely nothing to do with politics, he said.

Sasirin Chavapornthananon, director of the nursing unit, said the disturbances have made life difficult for patients, including those requiring dialysis, who seek treatment at the hospital during the day and leave in the evening. Doctors and staff have also found it difficult to get to the hospital.

Also yesterday, the Expressway Authority of Thailand (Exat) filed a legal complaint with police against the protesters who allegedly stormed the expressway near the Din Daeng toll booth and set fire to a commemorative arch. The attack damaged Exat property and forced the expressway to shut down, disrupting traffic.

Meanwhile, Pol Maj Gen Piya Tawichai, deputy commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, said police arrested 11 protesters at Din Daeng intersection and seized from them improvised explosive devices, catapults and marbles on Monday evening.

The Thalu Gas group began a rally at the intersection at 6pm. They either threw or fired marbles, fireworks and mini-bombs at police and scattered spikes on the road.

The deputy commissioner alleged they set fire to tunnel ventilation fans and control booths, and other objects, on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road.

He said police moved against them at 8.30pm and over the next hour rounded up the 11 protesters.

Earlier, on Monday afternoon, police arrested a man identified as Watcharakon Taweesinsoontron in Rayong province, for falsely claiming on September 8 via Facebook that a demonstrator had died, Pol Maj Gen Piya said.


Category: Thailand

Print This Post

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.