Indonesia sends condolences to Lebanon following explosions

06-Aug-2020 Intellasia | JakartaPost | 11:23 AM Print This Post

The Indonesian government has expressed its deepest condolences to the people of Lebanon and the victims of the deadly twin blasts that shook the port in the capital Beirut on Tuesday afternoon.

“Our hearts are with the Lebanese people during this difficult and sorrow-filled time,” the Foreign Affairs Ministry said in a statement on Wednesday, adding that the Indonesian government would keep monitoring developments in Lebanon after the explosion.

The ministry was maintaining close communication with the Indonesian Embassy in Beirut to ensure the safety of all Indonesian citizens in the country.

Almost 1,450 Indonesian citizens reside in Lebanon currently, comprising over 200 civilians and 1,234 United Nations peacekeepers in the Garuda Contingent, who will apparently help with the evacuation process after the incident that left at least 100 people dead and nearly 4,000 others injured.

The number is expected to rise as many people are still missing.

An Indonesian national, identified only as NNE, was reportedly injured in the explosion but he had safely returned home after getting treatment at a local hospital.

The Indonesian Embassy in Beirut can be reached at +961 70 817 310, kemlu.go.id reported.

Lebanese President Michel Aoun said that 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate, used in fertilizer, had been stored for six years at the port without safety measures.

Officials did not reveal the cause of the blasts, but a security source and media said it was started by welding work being carried out on a hole in the warehouse.

Prime Minister Hassan Diab promised there would be accountability for the blast at the “dangerous warehouse”, adding “those responsible will pay the price”, Reuters reported.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/08/05/indonesia-sends-condolences-to-lebanon-following-explosions.html

 


Category: Indonesia

Print This Post