Japanese journalist indicted in Burma freed

15-May-2021 Intellasia | JapanTimes | 5:02 AM Print This Post

A Japanese freelance journalist detained by security forces in Myanmar in mid-April and accused of spreading “fake news” has been released and arrived at Yangon International Airport on Friday.

Yuki Kitazumi, 45, was arrested in Yangon on April 18 and a military spokesman said Thursday night he had been moved from prison to a police facility.

The Japanese Embassy in Myanmar said its staff spoke with Kitazumi by phone on Wednesday and found he has no health issues. The embassy also confirmed the military’s plan to release him.

Yuki Kitazumi raises a three-finger salute, a symbol of Myanmar's anti-coup movement, in this undated photo. | YUKI KITAZUMI'S FACEBOOK PAGE / VIA KYODO

Yuki Kitazumi raises a three-finger salute, a symbol of Myanmar’s anti-coup movement, in this undated photo. | YUKI KITAZUMI’S FACEBOOK PAGE / VIA KYODO

According to a state-run TV station, the junta’s information office said Kitazumi had been arrested and indicted for supporting the anti-coup civil disobedience movement and violent protests, and for not complying with visa regulations.

The State Administration Council Information Team reportedly said while Kitazumi “has broken some laws,” the decision to release him was made “in consideration of cordial relations between Myanmar and Japan up to now and in view of future bilateral relations, and upon the request of the Japanese government special envoy on Myanmar’s national reconciliation.”

The journalist, who previously worked at the Tokyo-based Nikkei business daily, had covered anti-government protests and posted on social media information deemed to be critical of the military.

Kitazumi had been detained previously while covering an anti-military protest on February 26, but he was released later in the day.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato, Japan’s top government spokesman, had demanded during a regular briefing on April 20 that the security forces in Myanmar release Kitazumi.

Kitazumi could have faced a jail term of up to three years if convicted under the penal code as amended after the February 1 military coup.

Local journalist gets three-year sentence

Only a day earlier, a Myanmar journalist who reported on the anti-junta protests was jailed for the full three years for incitement, his news organisation said.

Min Nyo, who worked for the Democratic Voice of Burma (DVB) in Myanmar’s Bago region, was arrested on March 3 and found guilty by a military court in one of the first verdicts against media workers since the February 1 coup.

“DVB demands the military authority release Min Nyo immediately, as well as other detained or convicted journalists around Myanmar,” it said.

He had been beaten by police and denied visits by his family, it said.

Myanmar has been in turmoil since the coup, with the military struggling to impose order amid a groundswell of public anger at its overthrow of Aung San Suu Kyi’s elected government.

Many journalists are among the nearly 4,900 people who have been arrested, according to the Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP) advocacy group.

DVB is among several news outlets that have had licenses revoked by the military, which has restricted internet access and used lethal force to suppress countrywide strikes and protests against it. More than 780 people have been killed by security forces, according to AAPP figures.

Three of DVB’s journalists were detained in northern Thailand this week for illegal entry after fleeing Myanmar. Human rights groups have pleaded with Thailand not to deport them.

Emerlynne Gil, Amnesty International’s deputy Regional director, said journalism had effectively been criminalised by Myanmar’s generals.

“They risk life and liberty to shed light on the military’s abuses. The military authorities are ruthless, determined to crush dissent by silencing those who seek to expose their crimes,” Gil said in a statement.

Resistance to the junta has intensified in recent weeks, with hostilities reigniting between the military and several ethnic minority armies, fatal attacks on junta-appointed administrators, and ambushes of police and soldiers by militias calling themselves People’s Defence Forces.

MRTV announced on Thursday that martial law had been declared due to unrest in Mindut in northwestern Chin State. Resistance groups there say there has been heavy fighting between armed civilians and junta troops.




Category: Japan, Regional

Print This Post

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.