Malaysian who snared Singaporeans in JB ‘lucky draw’ scam jailed 22 months

11-May-2018 Intellasia | Yahoo News Singapore | 6:00 AM Print This Post

As part of an elaborate fraud, Tay Chee Boon would hand out fake vouchers to people on the streets of Johor Baru (JB) and convince them that they had won lucky draw prizes.

When his Singaporean victims followed him back to his office, the 29-year-old Malaysian would tell them they had to pay taxes to secure their prize and would drive them back to Singapore to retrieve their money. He scammed a total of $16,750 in purported taxes from victims.

Although he was arrested in 2012, Tay fled Singapore while on bail and was only re-arrested four years later.

On Thursday (10 May), Tay was sentenced to 22 months’ jail in the Singapore State Courts after he pleaded guilty to three counts of cheating and one count of leaving Singapore from an unauthorised port of disembarkation during his flight to Malaysia.

One count of cheating was taken into consideration for his sentencing.

Tay, who started working for the syndicate in January 2012, is said to have conspired with three others, Lee Hao Yi, Gan Ee Sing, and Lee Hao Ren, to carry out the lucky draw scam. The nationality of the three was not revealed in court documents.

Gan has since been jailed 27 months for his role in the scam while the two Lees are still at large.

Tay was tasked with approaching members of the public with the vouchers and convincing them that they might win in a lucky draw. After his victims opened their “super bonus” voucher, Tay would lead them back to the organisation’s premises in JB.

While there, he and other members of the syndicate would deceive the victims into believing that they had a chance of winning a car when there was no such prize.

Members of the syndicate would then instruct the victims to pay a sum to secure the car. If the victims were Singaporean, Tay or other runners would drive the victims back to Singapore where they could draw money before bringing them back to the JB office. Tay would earn RM50 for each victim who participated in the fraudulent lucky draw.

In this way, Tay managed to deceive two victims into handing over sums of $6,750 and $10,000 in May 2012. After the two gave the money, the syndicate told them that they won mattresses.

On 18 June 2012, Tay tried to pull the same trick on a 64-year-old woman but was caught after he escorted her back to Singapore with Lee Hao Yi and Gan. As the woman went up to her flat to write a cheque, her son stopped her and made a police report stating that three men were trying to cheat his mother. The trio were then arrested by the police.

Tay was charged in court two days later and his trial commenced on 7 January 2013. Two days into the proceedings, Tay chose to admit to his offences and his plea was taken on 15 January. On 20 February, however, he applied to retract his plea and the application was fixed for 12 April.

While out on bail prior to his hearing, Tay made plans with Lee Hao Yi and Gan to return to Malaysia using illegal means. The trio headed to Changi Village sometime between 15 March and 12 April and left via a speedboat from an unauthorised place of embarkation.

They headed to an unknown river in Johor where they were picked up by someone from their syndicate. The three men then parted ways.

Tay was later caught in Kuala Lumpur on 4 August last year and was extradited to Singapore three days later.

District Judge Kessler Soh said that Tay had come to Singapore just to cheat victims. He pointed out that although Tay had received only a small financial benefit of about RM200, he played a significant and active role in the scam.


Category: Singapore

Print This Post