N. Korea likely built 2 ICBMs, placed on mobile launcher pad: Yonhap

21-Jan-2017 Intellasia | Mainichi | 6:00 AM Print This Post

North Korea appears to have built two new intercontinental ballistic missile and mounted them on mobile launchers for test-firing in the near future, Yonhap News Agency reported Thursday.

The North apparently leaked information about the new missiles to send a “strategic message” to the incoming government of US President-elect Donald Trump, who takes office Friday, according to the report citing multiple South Korean military officials. The two missiles are estimated to be no longer than 15 meters in length, making them shorter than the North’s existing ICBMs – the 19-20 metre-long KN-08 and the 17-18 metre-long KN-14, they said.

In a regular media briefing, an official from South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff declined to provide details, merely saying, “So far, nothing has been verified regarding North Korea’s activities on its missile launch.”

The official said South Korea, in cooperation with the United States, is closely tracking all activities related to the North’s missile launches.

“Our assessment is North Korea could launch a missile any time and from any location,” he said, adding the South Korean military is ready to cope with any situation.

A North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman said earlier this month that Pyongyang could carry out an ICBM test at any time and location determined by its leadership.

In response, the United States said it would shoot down any missiles that threaten its territory or that of its allies.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said in a New Year address that his country has entered the final stage of preparing to test-launch the long-range missile.

Kim’s regime conducted two nuclear tests and test-launched more than 20 ballistic missiles last year, in defiance of UN Security Council resolutions.

http://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20170119/p2g/00m/0in/064000c

 


Category: Korea

Print This Post

Comments are closed.