NORA DEATH RIDDLE Nora Quoirin’s family may finally get answers to ‘dark questions’ about teen’s death as Malaysia confirms they can demand a second postmortem

22-Aug-2019 Intellasia | TheSun | 6:02 AM Print This Post

THE authorities in Malaysia say they WILL carry out a second postmortem on the body of teenager Nora Quoirinif her parents demand one.

The news comes after the teen’s family revealed there are still “dark” unanswered questions about how she died and maintained she could have been abducted.

However, Malaysia deputy Health minister insisted his country has nothing to hide and is confident of the pathologist’s handling of the case.

When asked if a second postmortem was an option for the family, Dr Lee Boon Chye said: “It is their right.

“We are confident in the professionalism of our pathologists. Our confidence is not shaken.”

He spoke out amid reports Nora’s parents, Maebh, 45, and Sebastian, 47, want to make sure the local coroner did not miss any crucial evidence.

It has since been claimed the parents requested for the autopsy to be conducted in either Britain or France.

Nora’s granddad Sylvain Quoirin, 67, has already claimed that “someone tampered with her body” after she went missing on holiday.

He believes she was dumped at the waterfall where she was found by sinister forces in an attempt to “get rid of her” and has called for a fresh criminal investigation.

The authorities have ruled out any foul play but her family have consistently said they can’t believe she walked out on her own and say they cannot grieve until all questions are answered as possible flaws in the investigation emerged.

Charles Morel, the family’s lawyer said that “criminal involvement” could not be ruled out, adding that it was highly unlikely Nora left the family’s lodge by herself.

Child protection expert Jim Gamble who has been advising the family of Nora Quoirin told Sky News that there are still questions to be answered about the disappearance and death of the 15-year-old in Malaysia.

Retired businessperson Sylvain told The Irish Times: “She wasn’t there yet [during previous searches]. Someone put her there.

“Can you imagine her walking 2.5km, naked and barefoot, over rocks, in the middle of the night? For me, that’s absurd.”

DARK AREAS

He added: “Do you think she would go walking around at night? For me, it is obviously a criminal case, by default. She could not have wandered.”

Quoirin insisted there were “dark areas that need to be cleared up for the family to be able to grieve in peace”.

Morel said: The family is just concerned to find out the truth. There are many unanswered questions and we cannot exclude criminal involvement.

“Nora was found where people have already searched. If she was alive for that long, then it is possible that she met somebody.

“We cannot exclude anything at this stage. In view of the importance of Malaysia’s image for tourism, the authorities may tend to favour theory of a disappearance over the criminal hypothesis.”

Norawho has learning difficultiesmay have been wandering around the jungle alone, frightened and starving for a week after she vanished on August 4.

The desperate search for Nora

August 4: Nora is reported missing after her father discovers she is not in her bedroom at the Dusun Resort at around 8am on Sunday.The window was also open in the room that Nora had been sharing with her two siblings.August 5: Missing persons charity The Lucie Blackman Trust says that Malaysian police are treating Nora’s disappearance as a potential abduction, but officers deny there is any foul play involved. August 6: Nora’s family say they believe her to have been abducted.”She never goes anywhere by herself. We have no reason to believe she wandered off and is lost.” August 7: Police say they are analysing unidentified fingerprints an open window and in a downstairs hall found in the family’s hotel suite. August 9: Police investigate whether footprints found in the forest where Nora went missing belong to the missing teen. Her family say she wouldn’t have wandered off on her own. August 10: Nora’s family thank the search teams involved since the teenager’s disappearance. August 11: Hundreds of rescuers still involved in the search operation a week after she disappeared. August 12: A visibly emotional Quoirin makes a further appeal for her daughter to return home.”Nora is our first child. She has been vulnerable since the day she was born.”She is so precious to us and our hearts are breaking. We are appealing to anyone who has information about Nora to help us find her.”A reward of GBP 10,000donated by an anonymous Belfast businessis made available for information leading to Nora’s safe return. August 13: A body is found and police said Nora’s parents confirmed it was her. August 14: An initial post-mortem examination inconclusive. August 15: Post-mortem finds that Nora died of intestinal bleeding after a stomach ulcer burst, probably caused by hunger and stress.

Nora’s uncle Pacome Quoirin also voiced his concern that any criminal element had been ruled out on Thursday.

“How could she have survived for five days in the jungle without food or water, if you believe theory that she left the hotel on her own? We remain very dubious,” said the graphic designer.

“The findings that were announced in no way discredit a criminal act. She could have been kidnapped and fed at the beginning. There is insufficient evidence to jump to definitive conclusions.”

The family’s lawyer Charles Morel said Nora’s parents were treating the autopsy results with caution and were not ruling out any criminal aspect to her disappearance.

He told Irish broadcaster RTE: “We have to be very cautious about the interpretation of the first result of the autopsy.

“The risk is that if you exclude the criminal hypothesis, it’s too early to say that.”

Nora was “very shy, dependent on her mother and its not in her temperament to go out in the night after a long trip in a place she doesn’t know, in the jungle”, said Morel.

‘FAMILY WANTS THE TRUTH’

He added: “And even the place where she was found, two kilometres from the resort, very strange that she could go there by herself alone so we cannot exclude the criminal hypothesis.

“The family still finds it difficult to understand that she would have gone into the jungle on her own.”

Morel said the family are waiting for the results of DNA analysis, which they hope to have quickly.

“I know the family is very traumatised. They loved their daughter, she was an angel,” he said.

“But they are now concerned about the truth because they owe that to Nora, what happened, how did she die.”

The family’s lawyer also stated that Malaysian authorities “may tend to favour theory of a disappearance over the criminal hypothesis” in lieu of Malaysia’s good image for tourism.

The post-mortem ruled the teen had died from internal bleeding in her intestine after a stomach ulcer burst, following a period of prolonged hunger and stress.

Both the Irish and French police who observed the postmortem were satisfied with the work of the local pathology team led by Siew Sheue Feng from the Kuala Lumpur Hospital.

Negeri Sembilan Police Chief, Mohamad Mat Yusop, today said authorities had found no evidence of foul play and said the post-mortem also found she had not been sexually abused.

The officer told the Malay Mail that the area where Nora was eventually found had been searched and she may have been moving around as rescue teams tried to locate her.

“We will continue to investigate and find out what really happened,” he said.

“Vulnerable” Norawho was born with the brain defect holoprosencephalyis believed to have been dead for up to three days before being found in a spot search crews had already examined.

Prior to the post-mortem findings, French prosecutors had joined the probeas Nora’s father is Frenchto investigate whether the teen was kidnapped before her death.

Morel told Le Parisien that the parents had filed a complaint “for kidnapping” and were convinced her disappearance is of “criminal” origin.

‘WE WILL ALWAYS LOVE HER’

Her family paid tribute to the youngster and also thanked people across the world for their support.

“Nora has brought people together, especially from France, Ireland, Britain and Malaysia, united in their love and support for her and her family.

“To all our friends and family at home, we can’t thank you enough for all your love.

“Nora is at the heart of our family. She is the truest, most precious girl and we love her infinitely. We will always love our Nora.”

It is understood Nora had been wearing underwear when she went missing but police said when she was found she was “completely naked”.

The officer who has been leading the hunt, Datuk Mazlan Mansor, said she was found in a stream running through a ravine, adding: “The stream was about 1.2km deep in the ravine,” he said.

A volunteer taking part in the search, Sean Yeap, revealed that the body had not been covered in any foliage.

Nora’s parents visited the site where her body was found and later identified her body at the Tuanku Jaafar Hospital.

The family are now making plans to bring Nora’s body back to the UK.

State Women, Family Affairs and Welfare Committee chair Nicole Tan Lee Koon said Nora’s mum had conveyed her wishes to the country’s deputy prime minister Datin Seri Dr Wan Azisah

The teenager was discovered missing from her bedroom at the Dusun eco-resort in southern Negeri Sembilan state on the morning of Sunday August 4, with the window left open.

She was on “trip of a lifetime” with her family including sister Innes, 12 and brother Maurice, eight, at the time of her disappearance.

The teen had only arrived the day earlier with her parents and two siblings at the resort in a nature reserve near Seremban, 39 miles south of the capital Kuala Lumpur.

Nora’s parents are an Irish-French couple who have lived in London for about 20 years.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9760845/nora-quoirin-malaysia-second-postmortem/

 


Category: Malaysia

Print This Post