PH bans travel of Filipino tourists to Korea due to coronavirus outbreak

27-Feb-2020 Intellasia | CNN | 6:02 AM Print This Post

The Philippines imposed a travel ban on Filipino tourists going to South Korea due to a spike in coronavirus cases, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said on Wednesday.

When asked if Filipino tourists are not allowed to travel to any part of South Korea, he answered, “Yes, for their own safety.”

He said there are exceptions to the travel ban to South Korea, which was decided during the meeting of the Inter-agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases. South Korea has the second most number of confirmed cases after China, with 1,146 coronavirus cases.

“The IATF has authorised Filipinos to travel to South Korea, provided that they are permanent residents thereof, leaving for study, or are overseas Filipino workers therein. They are to execute and sign a declaration, signifying their knowledge and understanding of the risks involved, prior to their travel,” he said in a media briefing.

Panelo said those coming from North Gyeongsang Province or Gyeongbuk, including Daegu and Cheongdo County, are not allowed to enter the Philippines.

The inter-agency task force will assess the situation within 48 hours if it’s necessary for the Philippine government to expand the entry ban to other parts of South Korea, he added. The highest number of tourist in the Philippines in 2018 were South Koreans.

“Kung medyo nagkaroon ng infection, isasama na rin sila,” he said.

[Translation: Areas which will have infection will be included (in the ban).]

There are now 1,146 confirmed coronavirus cases in South Korea from 51 infections last week. The outbreak began in the southern city of Daegu and was centered around the Shincheonji religious group.

https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/2/26/Coronavirus-Philippines-South-Korea-North-Gyeongsang-travel-ban.html

 


Category: Philippines

Print This Post