Short circuit triggers fire at Tsim Sha Tsui’s 1881 Heritage shopping centre, former site of HK Marine Police

14-Mar-2019 Intellasia | South China Morning Post | 6:00 AM Print This Post

A fire at a shopping centre in Hong Kong’s busy shopping district of Tsim Sha Tsui sent dense smoke billowing into the sky at lunchtime on Wednesday.

Emergency crews were called to 1881 Heritage shopping centre on Salisbury Road at 12.50pm when a decorative installation had burst into flames, according to police.

Seven fire engines and two ambulances were deployed to the scene, a government spokesman said.

He said firefighters used a water jet and doused the flames by 12.57pm. “No one was injured and no evacuation was needed.”

A police officer at the scene said the blaze was caused by a short circuit. Two decorative birds on an installation about 6.5 metres in height had caught fire.

Passer-by Michael Cheung, 32, said it was fortunate that the fire broke out at around noon when there were not a lot of tourists in the shopping area.

“If it was windy and if it happened at night, people could get hurt,” he said.

Mall staff members were busy cleaning up the area at around 2.30pm. It was business as usual as tourists and shoppers started pouring in.

According to the Hong Kong Tourism Board, from the 1880s to 1996, the site had been the headquarters for the Marine Police. Several buildings and artefacts of historical interest have been preserved and restored, and the area now features shops, a heritage hotel and an exhibition hall.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/short-circuit-triggers-fire-tsim-065347710.html

 


Category: Hong Kong

Print This Post