Tech hub Shenzhen calls off new trade shows in city amid rising Covid-19 infections in other parts of China

27-Oct-2021 Intellasia | South China Morning Post | 5:02 AM Print This Post

Shenzhen, the southern tech hub known as China’s Silicon Valley, has either postponed or cancelled a number of trade fairs and exhibitions that the city was expected to host this fourth quarter amid rising Covid-19 infections in some parts of the country. The city’s government called off all new events to be held at the Shenzhen Convention & Exhibition Centre (SZCEC) in Futian district, home to the central business area, “to lower the risks of spreading [Covid-19]“, according to a statement on Sunday.

Organisers of the China Public Security Expo, which was set for October 29 to November 1 at SZCEC with about 20,000 expected attendees, said the event will be delayed to the end of December or early January next year, according to a notice on the expo’s website.

Do you have questions about the biggest topics and trends from around the world? Get the answers with SCMP Knowledge, our new platform of curated content with explainers, FAQs, analyses and infographics brought to you by our award-winning team.

“The Shenzhen Convention and Exhibition Centre has decided to suspend all exhibition activities given increased interprovincial coronavirus cases,” the organisers said in the announcement.

Exhibitions that had already commenced at the venue wrapped up their last day of operations on Monday as scheduled, according to a SZCEC representative.

Futian authorities declined to comment on Monday.

Events at the city’s other major conference venue, the Shenzhen World Exhibition & Convention Centre in Baoan district, were either cancelled or postponed indefinitely from Monday, according to notifications circulating on Chinese social media.

The commerce bureau in Baoan confirmed the announcement.

“Please make sufficient preparations to communicate with and explain to exhibitors and the public,” the Baoan commerce bureau said in a notice addressed to affected trade show organisers.

The organisers of about 10 exhibitions in Shenzhen World have also asked to postpone their events, which were scheduled this week and most of November, according to a representative from the Baoan commerce bureau.

While there were no reported infections in Shenzhen as of Monday noon, the decision by local authorities to suspend new trade shows reflect the strong precautions being taken across the country to stop the spread of Covid-19 infections, especially in large gatherings.

The world’s second-largest economy continues to abide by its zero-tolerance approach to coronavirus infections. Beijing has touted this strategy, enabled by stringent social control measures and large-scale screening, as a model for containing the pandemic.

Shenzhen’s move to suspend new trade shows was followed by the Beijing marathon organisers’ decision to postpone the event until further notice, as China reported on Monday 39 new domestic infections.

Still, one of the country’s biggest scientific and technology shows is expected to open as scheduled next month. China Hi-Tech Fair will move forward at SZCEC from November 17 to 21, a representative of the event’s organiser said on Monday.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/tech-hub-shenzhen-calls-off-120656847.html

 

Category: China

Print This Post

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.