Temporary housing in quake-hit Ishinomaki demolished after all residents move out

22-Jan-2020 Intellasia | JapanNews | 6:02 AM Print This Post

The largest temporary housing complex built for victims of the Great East Japan Earthquake is being demolished with heavy machinery in Ishinomaki, Miyagi Prefecture.

The demolition work began in mid-December at the Ohashi housing complex, the biggest complex among quake-hit Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures, and about 30 percent has been cleared away so far. The work is scheduled to last until the end of February.

The complex comprised 540 prefabricated housing units, with 1,125 people living there at the peak. The number of residents had been decreasing as public restoration housing was completed, eventually reaching zero in August last year.

Last memorial next year

The government plans to end its annual memorial service held every March 11 to commemorate the quake victims next year, after the 10th anniversary of the quake, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said Tuesday.

“Ten years is a turning point. Until then, the government will host the service, but from then on, we will make a decision considering the situation at the time,” Suga said at a press conference in the morning.

In relation to this, the government decided at Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting that this year’s government-hosted memorial service will be held at the National Theatre in Chiyoda Ward, Tokyo. Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko will be invited, while prime minister Shinzo Abe and representatives of families who lost loved ones will attend the ceremony.

https://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0006302601?fp=5906a345a4a4420ce4845d8e5e437106

 


Category: Japan

Print This Post