US considers pulling up to 4,000 troops from Korea: Chosun Ilbo

22-Nov-2019 Intellasia | Reuters | 6:02 AM Print This Post

The United States on Thursday denied a South Korean news report that it was considering withdrawing up to 4,000 troops from South Korea if it does not pay more for maintaining a 28,500-strong US contingent deterring North Korean aggression.

South Korea’s Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported that the withdrawal of a US brigade, typically 3,000 to 4,000 soldiers, had been discussed with the top brass of the US military in South Korea, citing an unidentified diplomatic source in Washington.

The report came two days after the United States broke off defense cost talks after demanding that South Korea raise its annual contribution for maintaining the US contingent to $5 billion, a South Korean official said, more than five times what it pays now, in rare discord in the alliance.

“There is absolutely no truth to the Chosun Ilbo report that the US Department of Defense is currently considering removing any troops from the Korean Peninsula,” Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said in a statement.

 (Reuters)

(Reuters)

US Defense Secretary Mark Esper said earlier he was not aware of any plans to withdraw troops from South Korea if cost-sharing talks failed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-southkorea-usa-military/us-considers-pulling-up-to-4000-troops-from-south-korea-chosun-ilbo-idUSKBN1XU2V4

 


Tags:

Category: Korea

Print This Post