US says denuclearisation talks ongoing with NKorea

17-Sep-2018 Intellasia | AFP | 6:00 AM Print This Post

Talks with North Korea are ongoing over the country’s potential denuclearisation, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Friday, despite the appearance that discussions had stalled.

“We are still continuing to have many conversations with the DPRK about how to effectuate achieving all the commitments that were made during the Singapore summit,” Pompeo told journalists.

At a landmark meeting June 12 with US President Donald Trump, North Korea’s Kim Jong Un pledged to denuclearise the Korean peninsula.

However, no details were agreed, and Washington and Pyongyang have sparred since over what that means and how it will be achieved.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says the US remains committed to enforcing UN Security Council resolutions against North Korea (AFP)

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says the US remains committed to enforcing UN Security Council resolutions against North Korea (AFP)

Last month, Trump abruptly canceled a planned visit by Pompeo to Pyongyang.

But new ground appears to have been broken, as the White House talks of a possible second summit with the US president.

Top US diplomat Pompeo on Friday said the United States is “as committed as ever to continuing to enforce those UN Security Council resolutions.”

“We believe they are central to President Trump’s efforts to convince Chair Kim that full, final denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula is necessary.”

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/us-says-denuclearisation-talks-ongoing-nkorea-232335631.html

 


Tags:

Category: Korea

Print This Post

Comments are closed.