Wanted Taiwanese fugitive returned from Thailand to stand trial

19-Sep-2020 Intellasia | FocusTaiwan | 6:02 AM Print This Post

A Taiwanese fugitive wanted for financial fraud, who has been in jail in Thailand since 2018, was returned to Taiwan on Thursday after being granted a royal pardon by Thai King Maha Vajiralongkorn in July.

The founder of Dingli Group Chin Hsiang-yu arrived at Taoyuan International Airport in the afternoon, in the custody of Taiwanese investigators, after having spent two days at a Thai detention centre awaiting deportation following his release from prison on September 15.

The Taiwanese businessperson jumped bail and fled to China in 2016 after Taiwan’s High Court in 2015 found him guilty of being involved in an investment scam that earned him over NT$13 billion (US$446.15 million) and handed down an 11-year sentence. The ruling was upheld by Taiwan’s Supreme Court in 2017.

However in September 2018, Chin was arrested at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok after attempting to enter the Southeast Asian country on a fake Taiwanese passport.

Chin traveled from China to Cambodia and then on to Thailand. He attracted the suspicion of Thai border police due to concerns over the legitimacy of the passport he provided.

Chin’s true identity was only revealed after officers scanned his fingerprints through a database in coordination with Taiwanese officials stationed in Bangkok

He was subsequently referred to a court in Samut Prakan Province, in central Thailand, for further investigation into the offense of using a fake passport.

On March 22, 2019, the provincial court handed him a two-year sentence for attempting to enter Thailand on a forged passport.

Since then, Taiwanese authorities have been working with the Thai government to extradite Chin back to Taiwan to stand trial.

On Thursday, Ho Tsung-cheng, who heads the international affairs division of the Investigation Bureau, said Chin was supposed to complete his two-year sentence in November, but received a royal pardon from King Vajiralongkorn leading to his release on September 15.

According to the Investigation Bureau, Chin will first be kept at Taipei Detention centre where he will undergo a mandatory 14-day period of quarantine, after which authorities will move him to Taipei Prison for the duration of his trial.



Category: Taiwan

Print This Post