World health Organisation refuses to name staff who blocked early COVID-19 travel bans

09-Apr-2020 Intellasia | Skynews | 11:45 AM Print This Post

The World Health Organization has refused to release the names of doctors who blocked an early bid to declare coronavirus a global health emergency.

A Sky News Australia investigation has revealed a group of WHO doctors debated whether to declare the deadly coronavirus global emergency in late January but those who wanted to carry out strict travel restrictions were outvoted and instead, the body released a glowing statement praising China, followed by a recommendation for countries not to ban travel to China.

“The Committee does not recommend any travel or trade restriction based on the current information available,” the WHO wrote on January 30 at a time when confirmed cases had already reached 12,167 in China and the virus had killed 170 people.

Two days prior to that meeting in Geneva, WHO general manager Tedros Adhanom was photographed happily shaking hands with China’s leader Xi Jinping.

Sky News asked WHO to provide details of which doctors voted to block an emergency declaration from being declared but the organisation declined citing privacy concerns.

“As for your question on voting at the EC: members are independent experts and rules of procedure do not allow us to disclose that,” WHO spokesman Tarik Jašarević told Sky News.

“Important to note that what happened between two meetings was the evidence of human to human transmission outside China.”

The WHO maintained that on January 30 the emergency declaration was blocked because it did not yet have evidence of human to human transmission despite having full knowledge 12,167 had been infected through human to human contact.

The most troubling aspect of the crisis is the language the WHO adopted about in official health alerts, including the way it continued to praise China after being forced to declare the health emergency.

“The Committee emphasized that the declaration of a Public Health Emergency of International Concern should be seen in the spirit of support and appreciation for China, its people, and the actions China has taken on the frontlines of this outbreak, with transparency, and, it is to be hoped, with success,” WHO doctors said.

Sky News revealed last week in an exclusive interview with South China Morning Post news editor Josephine Ma that China buried hundreds of cases in late 2019, delaying global warnings and allowing the spread of the virus to leak into other countries.

That interview has been viewed by millions of people around the world and Adhanom is facing calls to resign for his role in the bungle.

US President Donald Trump has also today called for the body to be defunded and formally investigated for whether ties to China influenced the decision not to early declare travel bans.

The WHO went as far as to criticise countries such as the US for banning travel to China.

Trump called for an investigation into the body which has been widely condemned for praising China’s response to the coronavirus despite the fact the country covered up hundreds of cases in 2019.

The totalitarian regime also locked up doctors who issued early warnings of the coronavirus and continues to lie about case and death figures, according to Chinese journalists.

The WHO has also come under fire for refusing a trainwreck interview where its senior health official awkwardly dodged questions about Taiwan, an independent country China regards as a rebel region which must be reunited with the mainland.

Dr Bruce Aylward was asked if the WHO would reconsider Taiwan’s membership and he pretended he couldn’t hear the question.

When the interview repeated herself the doctor cut her off and asked to move on.

The interviewer refused to move on and the doctor ended the Skype call.

The exchange has been condemned as evidence the WHO is heavily influenced by China.

In Australia, prime minister Scott Morrison has indicated his frustration with the WHO suggesting they should be forcing China to shut down the dangerous exotic animal markets which have reopened despite supposedly being the source of the virus.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/5e8d196323eec60017f0ee31

 


Category: Society

Print This Post